About a week ago, my UK-to-US wall adapter got stuck in the outlet. After some feeble attempts to pull it out, I realized it was stuck for good and I wasn’t getting it out that way anytime soon.
I knew my only option was to unscrew the contraption and take a look at what was behind. My oh my! I didn’t think it was going to be so much work! I unscrewed the front plate and then noticed that the outlet was still attached to three wires going into the wall. So I proceeded to unscrew those – voila! I held a rather dusty outlet in my hand.
Of course, I tried to pull out the adapter once again. It wasn’t budging! And behind the plate, all the lovely plates for circuitry were stuck behind another black plastic covering. So I figured, “I’ll just unscrew the next part and hopefully I can pop the adapter out from the inside.”
So I unscrewed the black plastic…. And then everything fell apart….
Everything. Fell. Apart. On the bright side, I saw that my adapter was being blocked by a piece of wiring, so I loosened that up and out came my adapter. But my new problem now was that pictured above.
Believe you me, I spent hours staring at this thing and trying to piece everything back together. I tried Google Image search for answers! I tried plain ol’ Google too! Nothing!
I kept brainstorming and came up with the easy way out – just buy a new outlet cover! There’s no way I would ever be able to piece this thing back together (and then screw on the black plastic covering without disrupting everything). Amazon did have fancy ones that included USB ports too (unavailable, however, otherwise I totally would have bought one)! I ended up finding one at Wilko’s for like £3.
I thought it was all going to be over. However, the tricky part now was fitting those wall wires into the right slots on the new outlet and trying not to electrocute myself. And these wires were short and stiff! But after a good half hour or so, I did it! Everything is good again. I’m such a great handy(wo)man 🙂